Monday, March 9, 2009

Resolution updates

Usually my sporadic blog posts are mostly irreverent-- irreverence is way more amusing than sharing one's feelings earnestly. But today I'm breaking from convention to make a sincere recommendation (and oh, who am I kidding -- to brag a little).

I'm 2 for 3 on my New Year's resolutions -- as it turns out, I'm a creature of habit and really thrive on routine. The year ain't over yet, though, and I'm still going to strive to get out of my comfort zone whenever possible.

On the brighter side, I can (tentatively, while knocking wood) say that 2009 has been way more awesome than 2008.

Specifically, my resolution to run a half marathon has been going swimmingly. I can't run the 13 miles yet, but I can run 3. It might not sound like a lot, but I could only run 0 miles when I first started, and I'm confident that I can keep building and add 10 more by September.

Now that I'm done with the bragging part of this post I shall move on to the sincere recommendation part... if you, one of my seven readers, are interested in running, I'd strongly suggest you try the Couch to 5 K program. Not to belabor the obvious, but it took me from sitting on the couch to running 5 k in only 9 weeks. I've tried running as exercise a few times before but have always given up, probably because I had unrealistic expectations -- or maybe because I had no idea what I was doing. Sticking to a training schedule has been invaluable, and I'd give this program five stars/two thumbs up/an enthusiastic rating.

2 comments:

Suzanne Ross said...

I wish we lived closer together. I too hit 3 miles tonight in my "getting back to exercising" routine. Brad laughed at my 3 miles, but his ass was still planted firmly on the couch when I got home. I think 3 miles is A WHOLE LOT, seriously, I am over the moon excited! Way to go Brookie!! You'll get to 13 in no time at all :) I however may just try to run those three miles a little faster.

Liz Wharton said...

Congratulations!
I have been jumping on the diet/exercise wagon too, along with my hubby. Last week, I lost 7 lbs! I'm not confident enough yet to run, but I do step aerobics and boxing on my Wii fit. The goal is to be healthier, and to feel better about myself. It's already working.
There is a great site out there that has helped me: livestrong.com. It's Lance Armstrong's site, but they have launched a community around better health including MyPlate which tracks what you eat and how much you exercise. I find it so helpful.
Keep it up girls!!!