Monday, March 16, 2009

Unrequited love

Recent events have turned me into quite the unromantic, unsympathetic curmudgeon. I can no longer set aside my prejudices and appreciate art for art's sake (and I use the word "art" loosely, as you'll soon discover). Tales of unrequited love induce only eyerolling rather than the intended emotions.

E.g., the Katy Perry song "Thinking of You," which is always on the radio. The chorus features lyrics such as "When I'm with him I am thinking of you." I usually turn the channel right afterwards, because boo fraking hoo. Just quit wasting the guy's time and you can moon over your ex boyfriend to your heart's content. Or, go back to writing songs about pseudo lesbianism.

A (slightly) more respectable example is the movie Like Water for Chocolate. A young man named Pedro falls in love with a girl named Tita. Tita's mother denies his request for her hand in marriage -- but says he can marry Tita's older sister instead. Pedro accepts the replacement sister in order to be closer to his dear Tita. At this point, I turned it off, so I don't know if maybe Pedro eventually learns his lesson or whatever. Probably not to my satisfaction, because if I had my druthers he'd end up miserable and alone to mull over his bad choices, and the main character would find herself happier without him.

Clearly, I'm projecting, but I'm okay with that. So into the mail goes Like Water for Chocolate, and I anxiously await the next movie in my queue.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

YOu know, Like Water for Chocolate is a lot more interesting if you read the book in Spanish. And then realize that the only way you really understand Spanish is if you're drunk. So you have to drink every time you pick it up.

The movie... well, that just should be watched drunk because it's so terrible.

Anonymous said...

I completely understand what you're talking about. Although, I must say, it does go away. When I suspected d-bag of cheating on me with that sausagy co-op, I would turn off anything that was remotely about cheating or unrequited love. For example, that Hinder song that says something about "my girl's in the next room sometimes I wish she was you." Okay, Hinder then just get rid of her! As I said, that feeling of rage does go away and now I just turn the song off because it's f-ing terrible. :)