Monday, August 18, 2008

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 (Spoilers)

I'm a Negative Nancy when it comes to movies--being critical helps me enjoy the experience even more. Unfortunately, it probably makes those around me enjoy movies less.


Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 wasn't as good as the first movie, but still worth scamming the student discount to see first-run in the theater.


This long-awaited (by me) sequel featured strong performances, but the script was mediocre enough that it was kind of hard to tell. The dialogue was stilted and cheesy at times, and the storylines were a little unrealistic (let's all fly to Greece on a whim!). The plot in the original was closer to life and more relatable to us regular folks.

The pregnancy scare storyline would've been a good opportunity to tackle a difficult issue, but instead it pussyfooted around the tough parts. What about the morning after pill? And Amber Tamblyn's character Tibby only struggled with the possibility of being pregnant, but the writers played it safe and never indicated her feelings either way. We never learned what she'd have done if she had been pregnant.

The film wasn't without merit. I liked that the actresses were of varying (realistic!) body types. I also liked that the ladies' love interests showed a little racial diversity. Overall, it's an enjoyable movie with good role models for young girls--something seldom seen in films today. Even this heart of stone was warmed enough to tear up slightly at the end.

2 comments:

annie said...

I just saw this yesterday! I totally agree about the morning after pill! I was so mad! I went with my mom, and couldn't help myself but say, "UM, hello!! THE MORNING AFTER PILL!" That would have been a great opportunity.

Whatever happened to Lena's artist model hottie boyfriend? I did go to the bathroom at that point, so maybe that's why I missed it, but where did he go?!

Kathleen said...

I would've gone with you, negativity notwithstanding.